Wednesday 8 February 2012

DSE212 TMA04 – Notes

This post is going to be a bit of a ramble in case you hadn’t already realised, so time to sit down with a cup of tea.

Once again, it’s been another quiet day at work which has given me time to start taking notes on Chapter 8 – memory in preparation for TMA04. The question appears to be pretty straight forward but I need to make sure that I am being critical enough whilst still answering the question which is not my strongest point. My notes take the format of the area of study, relevant research, Type of study, Insider/Outsider point of view, criticism, support. So far there are a fair few pages but hopefully it will help me construct what I actually want to put in my essay. I really need to get this one done pretty quickly so that I can really get to grips with SD226 TMA01 which is due pretty soon afterwards.

DSE212 TMA05 is already looking like it is going to be tough going but after a few times of reading the relevant material in Research Methods book, it does appear to be rather helpful. After watch both parts of the DVD on each character, I do think that we’ve been given the easier one to analyse as she is quite open and she does talk a lot about attachments in her life. I think I am just going to use the coding that the Research Methods book uses as an example as it seems to work pretty well.

Day off tomorrow which means I can press on with the notes for TMA05 then print them off and decide what I want to include which will answer the question, there is a fair bit of stuff that seems interesting but the guide suggests certain sections. The study guide for week 18 seems pretty invaluable for this TMA so will read that over a few times.

A friend of mine (12 years younger) has decided that she wants to do a BSc (Hon) Nursing (Mental Health) as she already works as support staff in a local youth metal health hospital. She never did GCSEs and A-Levels so requires an Access course for HE in nursing before she can start. The access course is about £1,000 but the Nursing degree is free. The only down side is that she has been used to earning pretty decent money and although her work will support her and offer her a job at the end, she is going to have to cut back quite a bit. I only really mention this because I am starting to realise how many people are going in to further education later in life.


I have really started to investigate my MSc options as it isn’t something to be taken lightly. Firstly, although there is some funding out there on some courses, it isn’t going to cover any living expenses and I’m starting to wonder if I am better doing it part-time over 2 years, after all, it is only 1 more year in the grand scheme of things and it means my finances won’t be so badly hurt. I don’t have to stay within the car industry once I have the BSc (Hon) Psychology, it will allow me to step out and do something more relevant (hopefully) but to heave myself up any career ladders, I think that the MSc will be rather valuable especially as I am no longer any sort of spring chicken and will be getting close to the big 4 0 by the time this is all done and dusted.

My CV is another bone of contention which I need to start putting together, I still have time to fill in training gaps that I find if I get on with it fairly soon.

Ramble over else I will be going in to the finer points of Dexter and 90210.

No comments:

Post a Comment