Monday 9 January 2012

The Future: BSc-MSc-Career

I have really started to think about what to do after this degree. I think it was the fact that in 3 months I will be able to sign up for the first level 3 course has sparked this sudden realization. I will be doing a level 3 each year as I need to get Level 2 passes in both and I wouldn’t cope by overlapping and I don’t really need to. This degree was always planned to be a 4 year course and I could do with the extra time to save up for the MSc.

The original plan was to study for MSc Investigative Psychology at Huddersfield University however I have widened my options with good reason even though the original MSc might still be the case. After much research, it has come to my attention that I need to decide what career I actually want to follow at the end and more importantly, what career paths are actually available when I have finished all this study in September 2016. 2016 does seem like light years away but I’m sure it will fly by like the last 15 months with OU have already.

Current study status:

DD101 – Complete
ED209 – Complete
DSE212 – Half way through – Finishes June 11th
SD226 – Starts February 4th – Course materials have already arrived
DXR222 – Starts June 16th
DSE212 – Starts September 1st
DD303 – Starts January 28th 2013
DD307 – Starts January 29th 2014

MSc – Starts October 2015

I have been ‘surfing’ the web on quiet days at work (there have been many over Christmas) and I think I have a fair idea of what I what to do at the end of all this. I have however found that there are other things to learn which will be of advantage and that they are fairly easy although maybe time consuming.

1) Advanced SPSS use – I think a fair bit will be learnt on both BSc & MSc but whilst I have the access from OU, I might buy a book on the advanced aspects to play with.
2) Advanced Excel – I’m not bad with Excel at the moment but I am thinking that advanced Excel is going to be a fair bit more than I know so have found some free online training courses which I am going to start playing around with.
3) Advanced Access – I have never really used Access so this could be the toughest but as with Excel, free online training courses.

I will follow with another post sometime soon on what MScs I have narrowed down to at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment